I have found 3 decent Noah's Ark coloring sheets online for older classes, but this story is a favorite for the youngest crayon users and nothing- I mean *nothing*- I found is reasonably accurate while simple to color in.

So, I'm putting out a call to any of you who are gifted in art. Or, perhaps you know someone skilled like this who would be willing to make a simple black line drawing available online for Sunday School classes and families to download and print out?

Here's what I mean about what's available not being useful for a preschool class. It's far too busy and would just frustrate the little ones:

Plus, we need some with the Kinds represented well!

Thanks. :-)

Views: 82

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have 14 drawings of dinosaurs from kids in "Asia" - and then there is the cute kid on my facebook page, named Calex. He is brilliant for a 5-year old. I gave him the assignment to draw TWO VERSIONS of 5 dinosaurs - version A from memory, and version B from a picture.

Now I need to add KNOWN animals, and humans, as a reference point, and some trees, and a door, and a loading ramp, which I think would have been earthen, rather than a wooden ramp on posts and beams. Take away my own coloration.

I had an architect create an illustration back in the 70's and then I started talking to a guy who was part of my creative team back in the early 2000s who was consulting with naval architects, and the Korean Study. This young artist was asking me for my opinion on the size of a cubit, and we concluded that about 22.4 inches was the best guess, but it is easiest to say that it might have been about "Half a meter" - that guy is Tim Lovett, the mind behind much of the current AiG concept.

I would also hasten to add that the Hebrew Language of Genesis 6-9 is quite clear that there were two kinds of windows.

The window of chapter six is a TSoHaR - meaning "noon" and it is an overhead opening to admit light and possibly air, and as an exhaust for heat and "fumes."

The second window is "in the side" and we call it "Noah's Window" from 8:7 - the cHaLLoN, a window for looking OUT to view what is outside - as it is used elsewhere in the OT. This could have been an opening under the eaves, the length of the ark, or an opening in the ends, or even in a "Crows' Nest" atop the Tail Wind Rudder."

Cheri A Fields said:

That's looking good, Todd! 

Thank you Cheri. This gives me a good idea what you are looking for. The next draft will be more complete. Animals in the foreground sound great. Should I add a simple Noah as well, or is that too much? Ooooh!! Making unusual creatures from pre-flood days ... I may have to be careful not to get too carried away. Oh, even better, pre-flood plants!!!!! I can already picture some tree ferns ... ... ...

Whatever animals and trees are used - the purpose is to show the relative size of the ark. Some sort of fossil giraffe is always good, or an elephant, or sheep - which are clearly appropriate to Genesis 1-9 - the offering of Abel, and the offering of Noah might have included sheep. If we use dinosaurs, we should avoid the assumptions that the size of dinos would have been the same as Sue of Chicago, or other large behemoths - actually it may have been smaller-sized, young new adults - but in people's minds the dinosaurs are always the biggest. So if the dino you use is only 20 feet long, still the viewer will be thinking in terms of the 70 foot long specimens found in natural history museums, which may have been 1000 years old, and very abnormally large in comparison to those Noah would have taken on the Ark.

This is so awesome, thank you, guys!

Yes, it would be easy to get carried away, but a few representative biological forms with a mix of extant and extinct versions sound perfect. I'd love to have some "gopher" trees in the background, but who's willing to pin down which fossil tree they would have been?

Plus, there is plenty of room for a more detailed picture designed for 8-10 year olds with colored pencils/markers. As long as we have something for the little ones too, there is a huge need for all the drawings we can collect.

Noah, with perhaps an unknown animal, in the foreground would be amazing. Then a few megafauna like giraffes and elephants dwarfed by the door (which is dwarfed by the ark) would drive the scale home.

I'd never thought of two kinds of windows in the ark. I've studied a bit on the "noonlight" word, but didn't think about it being a different thing for releasing the birds later.

Then another small detail to consider is the word for "rooms" in chapter six. NOWHERE in the whole Bible is it ever translated as room. EVERY SINGLE TIME it is "nest" - like where birds lay eggs - a small secure enclosed place - like a BERTH, for each animal or pair.

Yeah, that one I'd caught. It's fun to think about, and the Ark Encounter handles this aspect beautifully. It still wouldn't have been fun not having anywhere to go for a full year, but 'nest' does sound cozy and safe. :-D

Cheri A Fields said:

This is so awesome, thank you, guys!

Yes, it would be easy to get carried away, but a few representative biological forms with a mix of extant and extinct versions sound perfect. I'd love to have some "gopher" trees in the background, but who's willing to pin down which fossil tree they would have been?

Plus, there is plenty of room for a more detailed picture designed for 8-10 year olds with colored pencils/markers. As long as we have something for the little ones too, there is a huge need for all the drawings we can collect.

Noah, with perhaps an unknown animal, in the foreground would be amazing. Then a few megafauna like giraffes and elephants dwarfed by the door (which is dwarfed by the ark) would drive the scale home.

I'd never thought of two kinds of windows in the ark. I've studied a bit on the "noonlight" word, but didn't think about it being a different thing for releasing the birds later.

Its a big subject but there would be no elephants or giraffs. These creatures would not look that that back then. They are varieties , including size,.

The okapi is considered a relative, kind, of giraffe. yet no long neck. The KIND from which elephants came from would not of had the trunk and size.

THE KINDS on the ark has nothing to do with the present world.

I'm not quite sure how our friends who are scientists can be so "SURE" about what would or would not have existed back then. Fossils give us an idea of the kinds and FORMS of creatures that existed before the Flood, and then those that appear as very old skeletal remains would also give us a pretty good picture of the forms that came off the Ark.

"There would be no elephants or giraffes"? I'd love to understand the reasoning behind this assertion and the evidence. BUT THAT IS NOT THE TOPIC HERE - the topic is drawing pictures of Noah's Ark that are simple and can adequately communicate the relative size of the Ark. SO regardless of bald assertions of what would or would not have prevailed "back then," WE STILL NEED TO USE FAMILIAR THINGS to communicate the dimensions of the Ark.

Well, I finally made it back to the drafting table. Here is my first submission ... I am quite open to alterations and suggestions.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

About CC

Connecting Christians who believe in Biblical Creation — discussing beliefs, sharing ideas, and recommending evolution-free resources. Please keep all posts relevant to the topics of this community.

Rules of Engagement
Zero Tolerance Policy
Statement of Faith
Creation Terms
FAQ

Homeschool Curriculum

Members

Creation Conversations 2017

What's new @ CC for 2017? Stay tuned and keep checking back. More ask the experts, more creation networking and much more in store for Creation Conversation Members. You'll not want to miss this new year!

© 2017   Created by Creation Conversations.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service