Some experts have been saying for years that Tyrannosaurus Rex may have been more keen on scavaging than  attacking prey. I don't remember all the reasons for this but TR is believed to have had a great sense of sell (comparable or better than a grizzly). This would help any creature but seems especially handy for a scavenger. Of course, from the remains of Tyrannosaurids it looks like they fought a lot. Some wounds even appear to have been made from a Triceratops. It evidently had a terrific bite force and thick, bone-cruching teeth. Ken Ham (rightly) stresses that we cannot be 100% sure an animal is a meat eater by its teeth. We know that God gave man and animals plants and fruit to eat and they started eating each other after the fall. So, is TR's lifestyle, like many fossilized mysteries, never to be determined?   

Tags: T-Rex, predator

Views: 267

Replies to This Discussion

I can't recall the reasons why T. Rex is supposed to have a good sense of smell, either.  I believe it would be difficult to determine whether Tyrannosaurs hunted or just scavenged and fought.  If it is true what I have heard that certain T. Rex fossils have wounds that likely come from a ceratopsian dinosaur, that seems to indicate that T. Rex was hunting.  At least, I can think of little other reason for him to stick around and get gored.

I'm not sure of a mystery here?  First of all the serration's on the teeth follow exactly after the carnivore kind, the dentures are designed for meat eating.  I would venture to say that since I am into reptiles, I think they would have scavenged any easy meal or chased off a smaller therapod that had a kill in favor of eating it instead of getting into a mix with another animal that could cost its health. Most animals are opportunistic and will feed on scavenge remains when presented with a fresh kill. 

With respect to all animals being plant eaters, I am not sure about this--I know this is YEC teaching, I have went through this with you all, but first of all I am not so sure about the scripture applies to all animals?  Does it say that?  Literally?   Also I have posted fossil pictures of dinosaurs eating others (which would be pre-flood), and we also have corprolites with bone fragments and such which does imply a carnivores eating habits, we know mosasaurs and others were ferocious meat eaters.  I know the argument is made that this is incorrect, I don't have or take issue with this, per se, I can see both sides of the issue, I just am not convinced that this is necessarily true, esepcially given the design of these animals by God....I m sure someone is going to go off over that, but is the question have to do with plants or death?????  Anyway my two cents. I have been given a perspective about scripture as well on this subject.  I guess one of the over whelming things for me is that a body that eats plants and harvests the goodness from it is one kind of body, a meat eating body is another kind.  God made both, specifically for the eco-niches he designed for the animal diversity, I don't see a body designed fir meat eating "changing over" to a plant eating digestive tract to accomodate a full plant diet.  I have heard many of the arguments about bears etc, which are omnivores, but there are a host of animals including dinosaurs, Saber tooth's, etc, that were meat eaters, snakes, and many types of lizards and birds of prey.  This is implied  early on in the bible as well......

I believe that before the fall, T-rex was a scavenger, though not carnivore.  Rather, one which helped keep the forest clean by eating large fruits, plants, limbs which might have fallen.  I believe that God foreknew that sin would happen and designed T-rex so that it could transition from scavenging large vegetation to animal cadavers. 

The reasons for it being a scavenger rather than a preditor are several.

1. large nasal cavity on the same scale to body size as vultures, thus implying amazing smell capabilities.

2. the nasal nerve bundle entering the T-Rex brain is 10 times larger than any other nerve bundle entering the brain, other than the spinal chord. Nearly the same size as the spinal chord bundle.

3. The small, nearly less arms. unable to catch anything.  cannot even reach it's mouth. 

4. Was probably a walker not a runner.  If it fell, it would probably break ribs because it cannot break it's fall with its puny arms.  And probably had a hard time getting up from the ground for the same reason.

the serrated teeth do not prove meat eating.  A student at Montana State U. for a thesis made bronze casts T-rex jaws and teeth and mounted them on a frame to test bone crushing capability.  he also had a cast of Hyena jaws and teeth which are known to crush bones.  The T-rex jaws and teeth were unable to crush the bones, but the hyena jaws did.  Instead the T-rex teeth got stuck in the bones or fractured them.  The teeth might have done ok with flesh, but bones were a problem.

I've never heard of a T-rex getting gored by a triceritops.  

Allen---I have heard this argument before---but let me tell you, every bit of "evidence", for every study that I know including the bones from being gored have read the article, you make some big assumptions about T-rex that are not true, if a MOa, a dodo, an ostrich can get around there is no reason why a T-rex isn't just as ambulatory.  The thing about the nose I agree I think many of these animals had very good senses of smell. THere have been tracks found that were thought to be T-rex (if they are) apparently they could run pretty fast. But they like other dinosaurs they fed  on smaller weaker animals, and while know one including Dr. Chin can prove which dinosaur a corporolite belongs too, there is absolutely no doubt that the ones studied are believed to come from a meat eating theropod, and the proof is in the pudding... bone, hair, skin, fur, insects, and other food sources.  If you want links to this I can provide...  So allan I think there are a lot of anomalies as well about meat eaters especially the one about the crushing of bone, well lions are not supposed to do that either but they do, so do dogs, and many other not supposed to be able animals, os I guess I don't buy that, and there is proof that the T-rex engaged in warfare with other dinosaurs.  So wheres you proof that meat eating animal created by God in the original creation along with the rest of our dinosaur species ate plants? If I send you pictures of fossil animals with another animal in its mouth, a fossil with another animal in its stomach, and a few others that to me is verifiable proof of carnivorous activity. So I admit I am not an expert on this, but have followed dinosaurs all my life, and while I highly reject any evolutionary ideology, there is no doubt that theropods lived on into mans written history, I believe the inca stones show one eating another??????         

There is no doubt that animals were eating each other before the flood. Like Allen, I think that before Adam sinned the animals were not predatory. Why else would the "whole creation groan" (Romans 8:22) just because Adam sinned? God said that all flesh had corrupted itself before the flood (Gen. 6:11,12). IMO, that means that not only had man forsaken God but animals were also in a "fallen" state, destroying each other; surely they would not do this in a "very good" creation.   

Allen I think these are things you might read that counter some of what you've said,a s far as bite force etc....

Bite force of T-Rex blows away the idea that it didn’t have a bite force?????
http://gizmodo.com/5889165/study-t-rex-was-the-strongest-terrestria...

Speed of T-Rex:
  However, the fact that T. rex had longer femurs and legs than other theropods points to the fact that T. rex could indeed reach higher speeds than implicated. Secretary birds had long femurs and legs to improve the distance covered by each step, so even when taking a "slow pace" T. rex would still be moving 12 to 15 mph (the speed of a sprinting human). (Hutchinson and Garcia 2002) The mathematical model of chickens and alligators was not an accurate parallel of T. rex in most respects. For one thing, T. rex was a bipedal carnivore (unlike alligators), and the skeletal structure was more streamlined to decrease wind resistance (unlike chickens). The most important point is that no person in this time has examined the muscle structure of the T. rex, so one cannot be completely sure of the speed of T. rex.

The King of Coprolites (Dr. Chin)
One of the most famous of all coprolites was discovered in Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1998. This gigantic poop fossil (which looks pretty much the way you’d expect) is 17 inches long and 6 inches thick, and was probably part of an even larger chunk of dinosaur dung. Because this coprolite is so big--and contains fragments of bone and blood vessels--archeologists believe it may have come from a carnivorous 
that roamed North America about 60 million years ago. For most coprolites, though, the exact identities of the dinosaurs that produced them will remain forever a mystery.

One T-Rex was found with 13-inch long teeth. This guy could eat up to 500 pounds of meat and bones in one bite

Vision & Smell
The T. Rex had a small brain in proportion to its body, but even so it was larger than most other dinosaurs. Its eyes were positioned on the front of the skull which is very similar to the way human eyes are positioned, and would have meant its ability to focus and judge distance objects was very good.
Scientists also believe that a large portion of the brain was allocated to smelling making the T. Rex a very strong sniffer. If you combine the strength of the eyes with the strong sense of smell you very quickly appreciate how these two natural abilities would have made the Tyrannosaurus a very effective predator.

Lou's Response to Steven:

Steven Posey said:

There is no doubt that animals were eating each other before the flood. Like Allen, I think that before Adam sinned the animals were not predatory. Why else would the "whole creation groan" (Romans 8:22) just because Adam sinned? God said that all flesh had corrupted itself before the flood (Gen. 6:11,12). IMO, that means that not only had man forsaken God but animals were also in a "fallen" state, destroying each other; surely they would not do this in a "very good" creation.   

Lou Said:

Here is the scripture in context, it has to do with our redemption....???? 

We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. 23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption to sonship, the redemption of our bodies

Creation groans because it awaits redemption....

Weren't many of the animals God made in the original creation carnivores by design?  I understand man being omnivorous can live on plants thats fine...but some animals cannot live on plants, their digestive tracks are not designed for plants, and are their teeth???  Herbivorous animals including dinosaurs and lizards abound in Gods diversity, so I get that too.... 

Lou, what is the difference in monitor lizards that eat meat and the ones that are vegetarians? Why do green iguanas subsist on fruit and rock iguanas live on rodents, other than their environment?

Steve---there are monitor lizards, Chuckwalla's, and of course iguanas that have a gut that is designed for fermenting and digesting vegetation.  Because like the omnivores like skunks, raccoons, and others--they can do both and do both, carnivores are made to be meat eaters...  Actual even small lizards eat somewhere around 5% of their intake of plants, or occasionally will rop off a piece of vegetation or flower for water content, but carnivores of all kinds have a body adapted and designed for that.  I guess what I am saying Steve, is Gods creation was what it was.  And clearly the "evidence" is overwhelming that they eat meat if designed to be that.  I can give you examples of all kinds of land animals and lizards species that eat plant material, some very small amounts to others fully herbivores?  But this does not imply that Snakes and certain monitors, the Leviathan, and dinosaurs were plant eaters unless they were designed so?  Look-up all the references to Chayay in Genesis and most of those references used in the bible are carnivores.....Owl, Hawk, etc. 

I can't imagine creatures like alligators eating plants either Lou but do you think that death was present in the Graden of Eden before Adam sinned? All we can see is what is now. We can't see what went on in the Garden. 

Lou Hamby said:

Steve---there are monitor lizards, Chuckwalla's, and of course iguanas that have a gut that is designed for fermenting and digesting vegetation.  Because like the omnivores like skunks, raccoons, and others--they can do both and do both, carnivores are made to be meat eaters...  Actual even small lizards eat somewhere around 5% of their intake of plants, or occasionally will rop off a piece of vegetation or flower for water content, but carnivores of all kinds have a body adapted and designed for that.  I guess what I am saying Steve, is Gods creation was what it was.  And clearly the "evidence" is overwhelming that they eat meat if designed to be that.  I can give you examples of all kinds of land animals and lizards species that eat plant material, some very small amounts to others fully herbivores?  But this does not imply that Snakes and certain monitors, the Leviathan, and dinosaurs were plant eaters unless they were designed so?  Look-up all the references to Chayay in Genesis and most of those references used in the bible are carnivores.....Owl, Hawk, etc. 

Steven Posey said:

I can't imagine creatures like alligators eating plants either Lou but do you think that death was present in the Graden of Eden before Adam sinned? All we can see is what is now. We can't see what went on in the Garden. 

Lou Hamby said:

i believe that all animals were probably created to eat plants at first ,but were modified by sin after Adam fell.It says in scripture that lions and wolves will one day eat grass and straw like an ox and lamb. so i believe in the future they will return to that and be changed in the new heaven and the new earth.Because death was brought in by Adams sin and everything was very good God says before Adam sinned. So would God have created animals initially to be savage killers?Randy Hansen

Steven Posey said:

Lou Hamby said:

RSS

Resources

follow us on Twitter

© 2014   Created by Creation Conversations.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service